Originally published on famousintel.com
John Piper Biography and Wiki
John Piper is an American New Testament expert, Reformed theologian, pastor, and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Before spending 33 years as the pastor for preaching and vision of Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis, Piper spent six years teaching biblical studies at Bethel University.
John Piper Education
Where did John Piper go to School? Wade Hampton High School is where Piper earned her diploma in 1964. Piper studied the New Testament for his doctorate in theology under Leonhard Goppelt at the University of Munich in Germany. In a bus accident in Israel on December 16, 1974, Piper’s mother perished.
John Piper Age and Birthday
When was John Piper born? Piper is 76 years old as of 2022. He was born John Stephen Piper on 11 January 1946 in Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States. He celebrates his birthday on 11 January every year.
John Piper Nationality and Ethnicity
Piper is of American nationality by birth. He was born in Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States. He is of mixed race.
John Piper Family
Piper was born to Bill and Ruth Piper. His father spent more than 60 years as a traveling evangelist. Piper’s family relocated to Greenville, South Carolina before he became one year old, and he spent the rest of his childhood there, finishing Wade Hampton High School in 1964.
John Piper Wife
Who is John Piper’s Father? After getting married to Nol Henry in 1968, he had five kids, including a daughter who was adopted. Abraham Piper, who is his son, has openly challenged evangelicalism.
John Piper Height
Piper stands at an average height of 5 feet 4 inches (1.63 m).
John Piper Net Worth
Piper has an estimated net worth of $5 Million.
John Piper Cancer
Piper made the announcement that he had been given a prostate cancer diagnosis on January 11, 2006. In a letter to his congregation, he and his medical team stated that they thought the cancer was completely curable. Following his diagnosis, Piper said the following: Of course, this news has been favorable for me. The sin of self-reliance and the drowsiness of worldliness are the two things that are most hazardous in the world. Both are gloriously blasted by the news of cancer. I give God praise for it. These recent days have been very beautiful times spent with Christ. On February 14, 2006, Piper underwent surgery and recovered well.
John Piper Sermon – Ministry
Since then, he has published dozens of more works that further elaborate on his theological viewpoint. In order to “promote a zeal for the supremacy of God in all things for the delight of all peoples through Jesus Christ,” Piper created Desiring God Ministries in 1994. All of Piper’s sermons, essays, and books from the last three decades are available online for free thanks to Desiring God Ministries.
May 1, 2010, to January 9, 2011, Piper took an eight-month leave of absence from his ministry. He made the announcement that he would shortly leave his position as pastor in June 2011. A candidate to take his place was made public in March 2012, and on May 20, 2012, Jason Meyer was elected (784 yes to 8 no) to follow Piper as the pastor for preaching and vision.
Easter Sunday, March 31, 2013, saw Piper deliver his final sermon as pastor of Bethlehem Baptist and inform the congregation in an open letter that he and his family would be relocating to Tennessee for at least a year. This move would allow the church’s new leadership to focus on developing a strategic vision for the organization without interference. He is a pastor emeritus who continues to attend services but holds no official position in the church’s governing body.
John Piper Books
- Love Your Enemies: Jesus’ Love Command in the Synoptic Gospels and the Early Christian Paraenesis
- The Justification of God: An Exegetical and Theological Study of Romans
- Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist
- The Supremacy of God in Preaching
- The Pleasures of God
- Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
- Let the Nations Be Glad! The Supremacy of God in Missions
- Future Grace: The Purifying Power of Living By Faith In Future Grace
- A Hunger for God: Desiring God Through Fasting and Prayer
- A Godward Life: Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life
- God’s Passion for His Glory: Living the Vision of Jonathan Edwards
- The Innkeeper
- A Godward Life, Book Two: Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life
- The Legacy of Sovereign Joy: God’s Triumphant Grace in the Lives of Augustine, Luther, and Calvin
- The Hidden Smile of God: The Fruit of Affliction in the Lives of John Bunyan, William Cowper, and David Brainerd
- Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ
- The Dangerous Duty of Delight: Daring to Make God the Object of Your Desire
- What’s the Difference?: Manhood and Womanhood Defined According to the Bible
- The Misery of Job and the Mercy of God